What should I do if I’m in a car crash?

If you are involved in a car crash, you should seek necessary medical treatment immediately. Even if you are not injured, it is important that you call the police and file a formal police report which can later assist with insurance claims and any lawsuits which may follow.

During this time, you will be required to show your driver’s license and documentation of your insurance coverage. It is important that you obtain this information from the other driver as well. If you have a camera, you should take a photo of the scene or soon after to show any damage to your vehicle. You should also contact your insurance carrier as soon as possible so they can instruct you on the necessary steps to timely file your claim for no-fault benefits within 30 days.

To ensure that you receive the highest settlement possible, contact a personal injury attorney who can initiate an investigation before witnesses memories fade and evidence is lost.

I was in a minor crash and the other driver and I just exchanged insurance information without calling the police. My insurance company is now giving me a hard time for not having a report. Is a police report necessary for all car accidents?

It is always a good idea to call the police at the time of an automobile crash. Although all insurance carriers have different policies regarding the necessity of a police report when filing a claim, many will accept an auto insurance claim without one. Nonetheless, police reports are helpful in determining the involved parties and documenting who was at fault. This information will assist your insurance company in their investigation and may expedite the resolution of your claim.

I was in a car crash and the other motorist's insurance company just called me for a statement. Am I required to provide one?

No! More often than not, the other driver’s insurance company is calling to obtain information which may be used against you as you seek to recover losses. Respectfully decline their request and inform them that if they would like a copy of your statement, they may contact your insurance carrier or attorney directly.

Who is responsible for payment of my medical treatment and expenses?

In most cases, under New York’s no-fault law, your insurance must pay for your treatment and other related expenses such as lost work and compensation for vehicle damage. The extent of liability by a third party for an injury resulting from a car wreck can vary based on circumstances and whether our injuries satisfy the no-fault threshold for “serious injury”. As a result, it is crucial that you hire a personal injury attorney who can help determine fault and recover for your injuries, harms and losses you’ve incurred.