General Motors Co.’s victim compensation fund has made its first cash compensation offers, with formal proposals going to 15 people who have filed claims, the fund’s director said.
In a Detroit News interview Wednesday, lawyer Ken Feinberg said the offers had been made during the previous 24 hours by the independent fund established to compensate victims and families of those injured or killed as a result of defective ignition switches in GM. If offers are accepted, those people will get formal letters and must sign releases absolving GM of future claims. They would then get a check in two or three weeks. There is no timetable for accepting or rejecting the offers, Feinberg said.